Remote Learning TECH Tips for Families
1. You will want to conserve bandwidth for education purposes
Shut off or disconnect all devices from your home wi-fi not needed for student classwork or parents/guardians working from home
This includes phones, tablets, laptops, televisions, or any devices connected to your wi-fi
2. Conserve your monthly data for educational use
limit the use of satellite and/or hotspot data for purposes not related to classwork
limit the use of social media, streaming video such as Netflix, YouTube, etc.
3. To speed up Google Meet response
Turn off the camera (if the instructor will allow) and use audio only
4. To make Google Applications such as Classroom, Meet, Docs, Slides, Sheets, etc. more responsive
Close all tabs except those necessary for the learning taking place at any given moment
Any additional tabs open on Chromebooks will use more bandwidth
Close unneeded open tabs on other devices not in use or being used for work-from-home parents/guardians
5. Place your Internet modem and router in locations that maximize strength and distance of your connection
Make sure your internet modem and router are out in the open, off the ground and in a central location.
Many common household devices and appliances can affect Wi-Fi performance. Keep your wireless router away from items such as microwave ovens, cordless phones, gaming system remotes, baby monitors, etc.